[arch-general] Display Manager rc.d scripts

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Mon May 9 15:13:15 EDT 2011

Am Mon, 9 May 2011 20:41:31 +0200
schrieb Rémy Oudompheng <remyoudompheng at gmail.com>:

> I never used inittab to launch a display manager and always used
> rc-scripts, and I will never switch unless I go for systemd. I don't
> understand the point of removing these scripts, unless you want users
> to write them themselves. As far as I know, most major distributions
> that don't use systemd ship rc-scripts for the display managers.

Regarding Gentoo this is not quite correct. At least Gentoo is also
using an rc script to start X at boot time but this rc script is
started in its own runlevel if I recall correctly. So Gentoo uses a
mixture of the inittab/runlevel and the rc script method. But I guess
this mixture wouldn't work and is not necessary in Arch Linux.

Heiko