[arch-general] Display Manager rc.d scripts

Grigorios Bouzakis grbzks at xsmail.com
Mon May 9 18:32:19 EDT 2011

Rémy Oudompheng wrote:
> On 2011/5/8 Grigorios Bouzakis <grbzks at xsmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> can anyone think of a reason the rc.d scripts are added to kdm, gdm and
>> slim? They are not recommended by anyone & they are to be blame for
>> occasional weird problems. The standard and IMO only way is to start
>> them from inittab.
>> They dont come from upstream & i dont know when they were added, i
>> remember them being there ever since i started using Arch, they may
>> come from CRUX or something.
>> I am considering requesting them removal from all display managers.
>> In [0] Pierre said some people want to keep them for backwards
>> compatibility. Backwards compatibility is desired only when something
>> works correctly. Thoughts?
>
> I never used inittab to launch a display manager and always used
> rc-scripts, and I will never switch unless I go for systemd. I don't
> understand the point of removing these scripts, unless you want users
> to write them themselves.

If they are unsupported then yes, users who want to use them should be
writing them themselves.

> As far as I know, most major distributions
> that don't use systemd ship rc-scripts for the display managers.

Are they telling their users not to use them too?

> Moreover, rc-scripts are distribution specific and I don't see how
> they can be provided by upstream.

Right, for the scripts upstream is Arch and Arch is advising users not to
use them.

--
()  against html e-mail  |  usenet & email communication netiquette
/\  www.asciiribbon.org  |  www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html