[arch-general] Why not create a new repo specified for games ?

Mauro Santos registo.mailling at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 16:45:18 EDT 2011

On 01-11-2011 17:34, Leonid Isaev wrote:
> On (11/01/11 16:40), Matej Ľach wrote:
> -~> I support this idea.
> -~> Keep most games in AUR and the more popular ones can have their
> -~> own repo [games] on a separate server.
> -~> This server could be community financed using donations and if not
> -~> enough interest will be raised for new repo, all these huge games
> -~> can be moved to AUR and the smaller ones can stay in [community].
> -~>
> -~> That's my view at it.
> -~>
>
> +1, but what I can't understand is why the MiB size is a figure of merit?
> Instead a more relevant question, imho, is why waste server resources and time
> on bad software?
>
> Most of these games are either from 1990 era or developed simply for fun and
> have poor quality, especially compared to multi-million budgeted Windows games.
> And look at the number of game pkgs per TU in community. Most likely these
> packages are simply being routinely rebuilt without seeing much usage.

So in short you mean the community should dismiss free linux games only
because they have low usage and are developed/maintained in the spare
time of their maintainers/developers, which most of the times have very
small or nonexistent budgets and instead favor multi-million budgeted
games which most of the times although pretty and shinny are utter
rubbish in every other respect.

By that logic we might as well stop using gnu/linux in the desktop since
the global usage falls within statistical uncertainty levels or as some
would would like it to be, a rounding error.

--
Mauro Santos