[arch-general] Gnome Shell freezes

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Fri Nov 4 15:51:19 EDT 2011

On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 12:08:31PM +0200, Max wrote:
> Dear arch users and developers,
>
> I have posted this issue also in the archlinux forum [1]. I didn't get
> much feedback there. So I'm hoping some people here might have an idea
> of how to resolve the problem.
>
> Problem:
> gnome shell freezes from time to time (actually daily).
>
> Freezing:
> "Freezing" means, the screen becomes unresponsive but everything seems
> to continue working (sound and videos continue playing; even the mouse
> pointer can still be moved). Most of the time I'm able to switch to a
> virtual console although sometimes it takes 10-20 seconds after
> CTRL+ALT+F1 to show up. Then, however, everything is running smoothly.
> It's not possible to restart X since it will freeze again at the gdm
> login screen, or even without using gdm when loading the desktop.
>
> What triggers the problem:
> Usually it happens while scrolling on websites or pdfs. I feel like it
> happens more often if there are large images.
>
> Hardware:
> IBM T60
> ATI X1400
>
> I think it's an issue with the open source radeon drivers. However, this
> problem doesn't occur using other desktop environments. I tried to look
> into some log files but I couldn't find noticeable error messages.

This happens to me fairly rarely, but still often enough to be
irritating.

For me it has only ever happened when I use the logo key to jump into
the Activities Overview and start typing to search for an application.
The only way out of it seems to be to jump out to a console and kill
gnome-session or restart gdm.

/M

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

Most software today is very much like an Egyptian pyramid with
millions of bricks piled on top of each other, with no structural
integrity, but just done by brute force and thousands of slaves.
     -- Alan Kay