[arch-general] Display issues with Linux 3.1

Taylor Hedberg tmhedberg at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 12:02:30 EST 2011

hollunder at lavabit.com, Sun 2011-11-13 @ 11:18:05-0500:
> Another workaround is to disable kms by booting with the nomodeset
> option.
>
> Another new issue is that my mousepointer frequently
> flickers/disappears and that xv video out in smplayer doesn't work
> anymore, but both of those are with the nomodeset option, have yet to
> test with kms enabled again.

I was under the impression that KMS was required in order to run modern
versions of X. If that's the case, it's likely that your new issues are
a result of the nomodeset kernel parameter. I'd try reenabling KMS and
adding i915 to the initcpio. That may solve the problem.

For what it's worth, I'm not seeing the mouse cursor flickering. I don't
use smplayer so I can't speak to that problem.