[arch-general] Vim with X

Ray Rashif schiv at archlinux.org
Wed Nov 16 06:09:07 EST 2011

On 16 November 2011 17:31, Manolo Martínez <manolo at austrohungaro.com> wrote:
> On 11/16/11 at 08:44am, Jason Melton wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 11:00 PM, Manolo Martínez
>> <manolo at austrohungaro.com>wrote:
>> > don't want gvim, but we find copying and pasting to and from the clipboard
>> > useful.
>> >
>> > If you install gvim, you can still run "vim" in an emulator and you get
>> the compile flags that gvim used. Which, relevant to this question include
>> "+xterm_clipboard". gvim is not "gvim only, it's gvim AND vim.
>>
>> You can then "set clipboard=unnamedplus" (or just "unnamed", or not at
>> all, depending on your preference) and go to town.
>
> Yes, I know. But gvim pulls in ruby and lua (does that even make sense? I swear
> that's what pacman asks to do), and that's a bit too much for clipboard
> support.
>
> I was assuming (unwarrantedly, it appears) that my profile of use of vim (in a
> terminal emulator, but relying on the x clipboard) was fairly standard. I stand
> corrected now.
>
> Manolo
> --

Since recently, I've been using my own build of vim. I realised I
could do with some convenience after all these years and set up
omni-completion with supertab context for python. If you build in
python3 interpreter the completion does not work, so I have to rebuild
with only python2. I tried enabling X while I was at it but the
yanking to clipboard did not work as far as KDE's Klipper is
concerned. I use pathogen so updating vim or any of its plugins is not
a concern, and thus have vim ignored in pacman.

You can do the same.

--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1