[arch-general] Vim with X

Manolo Martínez manolo at austrohungaro.com
Wed Nov 16 04:31:20 EST 2011

On 11/16/11 at 08:44am, Jason Melton wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 11:00 PM, Manolo Martínez
> <manolo at austrohungaro.com>wrote:
> > don't want gvim, but we find copying and pasting to and from the clipboard
> > useful.
> >
> > If you install gvim, you can still run "vim" in an emulator and you get
> the compile flags that gvim used. Which, relevant to this question include
> "+xterm_clipboard". gvim is not "gvim only, it's gvim AND vim.
>
> You can then "set clipboard=unnamedplus" (or just "unnamed", or not at
> all, depending on your preference) and go to town.

Yes, I know. But gvim pulls in ruby and lua (does that even make sense? I swear
that's what pacman asks to do), and that's a bit too much for clipboard
support.

I was assuming (unwarrantedly, it appears) that my profile of use of vim (in a
terminal emulator, but relying on the x clipboard) was fairly standard. I stand
corrected now.

Manolo