[arch-general] Automatic File Associations Alloting

Clive Cooper clive at winpe.com
Sat Nov 19 17:57:02 EST 2011

On 19 November 2011 13:23, Jayesh Badwaik <jayesh.badwaik90 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Whenever I install a new text editor, it will "hijack" the files
> without notifying me. My .tex files were associated
> with Kile and when I recently installed emacs, it hijacked the file
> associations.
>
> This happens quiet often. Going by the Archway, I guess this is
> unwarranted. The system is doing something
> automatically without asking me first and I wish it didn't happen.

I have to admit that this is something that gets my back up as well.
Why the hell would wine think that I would want to use the hideous
Notepad editor when just about any Linux editor is better I just don't
know. It also associates images with 'Internet Explorer' yuk. I only
install wine so I can use mp3DirectCut.

Seems to me that there are no etiquette rules to be followed and no
matter what you install it just feels it is free to screw with current
associations.

Does anyone know if there are any rules and they are just plain
ignored or is it an association free-for-all.

Clive
--
Infinity: A concept for those who cannot comprehend the big picture.

() Arch Linux - For movers and shakers. ()