[arch-general] Automatic File Associations Alloting

Jayesh Badwaik jayesh.badwaik90 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 08:23:50 EST 2011

Hi,

Whenever I install a new text editor, it will "hijack" the files
without notifying me. My .tex files were associated
with Kile and when I recently installed emacs, it hijacked the file
associations.

This happens quiet often. Going by the Archway, I guess this is
unwarranted. The system is doing something
automatically without asking me first and I wish it didn't happen.

I understand that when I installed Kile, it also automatically took up
.tex for its use. But then I guess, .tex was not
allocated to anything (excpet may be the default text editor for that
env). What I wish is, by default all applications
should be allocated to a text editor for that DE. (For example, Kwrite
for KDE, Gedit for Gnome and so on.)
But as the programs get installed, the programs should check whether
there is a file association. If it is just to
the text editor, then they can take over. However, if it is to some
other program, then they should not do
anything instead leave a message during installation that these file
types were not changed because they are
otherwise associated and then the user can change some if he wants.

I know I can edit my custom preferences in ~/.local/share/mime folder
or /usr/share/application/defaults.list.
But still I was wondering about the default behaviour.