[arch-general] Automatic File Associations Alloting

Sorin-Mihai Vârgolici smv at ceata.org
Mon Nov 21 18:59:56 EST 2011

În data de Lu, 21-11-2011 la 22:36 +0100, Philipp Überbacher a scris:
> So how is this stuff controlled these days? Those funky desktop files?
> gconf? dconf? Something else entirely?

Usually other distros deal with this quite well, using a defaults.list
file. For example Debian [1] and Ubuntu [2], though each other having
the file in a different packages and different places, keep this thing
almost sane. I'm not sure how is done for other DEs in these distros,
but at least for GNOME this file has most of known/common file
asociations.

There is the gnome-defaults-list [1] package in AUR, but for personal
reasons I believe is not done in the best way, thou it gave me a good
ideea, and this is how I got to what I'm writing here. This package
pulls an archive from Ubuntu, unpacks it, copies the defaults.list file
into /etc/gnome then symlinks it
to /usr/share/applications/defaults.list, which I find odd, it could've
place the file there in the 1st place.

Also, looking at this file, in both Debian and Ubuntu, I found out that
is not what I'd want on my system, since I don't have some of the
applications associated with some files in these distros. What worked
great for me, was to take the files from both distros, compare them and
come up with my own defaults.list [2].

Now, the great part in this, is that if you have some unusual file
association, it's quite easy to add to the file, afterall, the "funky
desktop files" are all in the same place, /usr/share/applications and
can give you some ideeas. ;)

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?K=gnome-defaults-list&SeB=x
[2] http://ompldr.org/vYmU0ZQ/defaults.list

--