[arch-general] Automatic File Associations Alloting

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Tue Nov 22 04:02:20 EST 2011

Excerpts from Mantas Mikulėnas's message of 2011-11-22 00:50:25 +0100:
> On 2011-11-21 23:36, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> > So how is this stuff controlled these days? Those funky desktop files?
> > gconf? dconf? Something else entirely?
>
> The default programs are kept in
> ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list, according to fd.o "MIME
> Actions spec".
>
> <http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/mime-actions-spec>
>
> All popular DEs - GNOME, Xfce, KDE - use this, and should respect
> explicitly set defaults.

Thanks, this page is rather informative and links to the original
mailinglist discussion, hope I'll find time to read it and understand
the reasoning for some of the decisions. For example, I find it odd that
they wanted to have a way for an application to become the new default
after installation ("Application X wants to be the default application
for text/html after installation"). In my book there's no reason why
this decision should be up to the application instead of the user (or
possibly DE). Well, maybe I'll figure out their reasoning.

Thanks again for the link.

Regards,
Philipp