[arch-general] Automatic File Associations Alloting

Myra Nelson myra.nelson at hughes.net
Tue Nov 22 02:22:28 EST 2011

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 22:09, Matthew Monaco <dgbaley27 at 0x01b.net> wrote:

> On 11/21/2011 05:49 PM, Mauro Santos wrote:
>
>> On 21-11-2011 22:08, Bernardo Barros wrote:
>>
>>> In KDE I don't have this problem.
>>>
>>> It happens with xmonad and openbox.
>>>
>>> pcmanfm can configure that too, but automatic picks the last installed
>>> package that handle this type of file, and wine is always the last
>>> thing I install in the system..
>>>

>> To work around the wine annoyance I usually do (after running wine once
>> after the update):
>>
>> find ~/.local/share/mime -name '*wine*' -exec rm {} \;
>> rm ~/.local/share/applications/**wine*.desktop
>> update-mime-database ~/.local/share/mime
>>
>> And everything gets back in order to the way I had it configured before.
>> The original idea isn't mine, I've seen someone suggest this on the
>> forums or here, can't remember where or who suggested it though.
>>

> For wine you can have export WINEDLLOVERRIDES=**winemenubuilder.exe=d in
> your profile to avoid the associations.

To all:

There is a simple little app in the aur by xyne called mimeo. For those who
use openbox this works really great. Y'all should check it out. On top of
that, at least with Thunar, you can set up custom actions and if you right
click on file it will ask you which program you would like to use to open
it with -- down to including an option to search for the program you would
like to use.

I gave up on U and Deb for a reason. I also refuse to use gnome, used to
use it all the time, and KDE because they want to do it all for me -- just
like another un-named os from Redmond.

In my old age I need some conveniences but I don't need my os to tell me
what I need to work on a file, at least I don't think I'm that senile yet.
Rather than "mother dog mother dog" about it and point out how well other
os's handle it. Figure out the syntactic sugar they use on top of the base
tools and apply it your self. The tools all exist somewhere in Arch.

That's the whole point of Arch and Kiss, or as the agile developers say
"you ain't gonna need it" and "don't repeat yourself". The tools are there
and if an old dog can figure it out.

Myra
--
Life's fun when your sick and psychotic! And highly opinionated.