[arch-general] pacman/libalpm/libfetch do not honor TMPDIR

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Fri Nov 25 13:55:33 EST 2011

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 18:57:22 +0100
Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Leonid Isaev <lisaev at umail.iu.edu> wrote:
> > On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 18:07:18 +0100
> > Geert Hendrickx <geert at hendrickx.be> wrote:

> >> Reducing disk i/o.
> >>

> >>       Geert
> >>

> > I find this a very weak excuse, because the normal desktop operation is not
> > I/O bound, and the dafaults must be safest. If you compile a lot/use a
> > lot of DB stuff, just mount /tmp to RAM in fstab but this is a special case.
>
> Note that:
>
> 1) FHS says: "Programs must not assume that any files or directories
> in /tmp are preserved between invocations of the program."

I didn't say anything about programs -- I meant the administrator. Suppose you
came across a pdf file which freezes your evince and the whole X. Then you'll
definitely would like to have a closer look at it and send it do evince devs,
but it's gone because of hard reboot.

> 2) the contents of /tmp is deleted by initscripts on boot, so if you
> want to access stuff in /tmp after an unclean shutdown you somehow
> have to circumvent that.

Exactly -- use livecd, otherwise why not clean it rc.shutdown, on unmount?

--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key ID: 164B5A6D