[arch-general] pacman/libalpm/libfetch do not honor TMPDIR

clemens fischer ino-news at spotteswoode.dnsalias.org
Fri Nov 25 13:09:41 EST 2011

Leonid Isaev wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 18:07:18 +0100
> Geert Hendrickx <...> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 10:55:55 -0600, Leonid Isaev wrote:
>>
>> > Actually, what is stupid is keeping /tmp in RAM. It is an important
>> > dir, where you might have an valuable info in case of a system
>> > crash. I could never understand the logic behind this choice.

/tmp is important, yes, but it is for _temporary_ files.  If they should
be preserved across a system crash, use another directory for them!
Haven't you ever wondered about /var/tmp and the like?

>> Reducing disk i/o.
>
> I find this a very weak excuse, because the normal desktop operation
> is not I/O bound, and the dafaults must be safest. If you compile a
> lot/use a lot of DB stuff, just mount /tmp to RAM in fstab but this is
> a special case.

Well, I do a lot of compiles on my desktop system.  I sencerely hope you
accept this excuse.

I consider pacman installs important enough to warrent the users choice
as to where extracted temp files go.

clemens