[arch-general] Fwd: udev events and /usr not mounted

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Fri Nov 25 18:21:14 EST 2011

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 11:44 PM, Myra Nelson <myra.nelson at hughes.net> wrote:
> [...]

You can't really "source" udev rules, so I don't think this would work
(you'd have to somehow replay the relevant events, but I don't know
how you'd manage to only trigger some specific rule files, so I don't
think it is a good idea).

You could just wait for the /usr support to land in initramfs (should
be "any day now"), which would solve this and similar problems.

However, I think in the case of alsa, this is not a real problem.
Provided you also enable the alsa rc script. If I understand correctly
it is ok for the alsa udev rules to fail on boot, because the rc
script would anyway do the same job (restore mixer levels). The point
of the udev rules is to deal with hotplugged sound devices that are
added after boot (and hence would not be dealt with by the rc script).
I have not looked at the rules/scripts in any detail so please take
this with a grain of salt :-)

Cheers,

Tom