[arch-general] Fixing udev rules + udevd timeout error

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Tue Nov 29 15:18:21 EST 2011

David,

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 8:43 PM, David C. Rankin
<drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
>  What do I have to do to 'fix' the rule to get rid of the error regarding 'BUS'
> no longer being recognized?

BUS should be replaced by SUBSYSTEM. See the notes for release 148 in
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/hotplug/udev.git;a=blob;f=NEWS;hb=HEAD

>  Also, nut (upsd) will start, but after a period of time it dies with the
> following udevd error in the daemons.log file:
>
> Nov 29 13:18:53 archangel udevd[451]: timeout: killing '/sbin/modprobe -bv
> usb:v045Ep0040d0300dc00dsc00dp00ic03isc01ip02' [696]

Udev is trying to insert the 'usbhid' module, but it hangs. Either the
alias is wrong, and your UPS should not use the usbhid module, or
there is some other kernel bug in that module. I suggest you take it
upstream, either to the kernel (preferably) or to the nut project.

Cheers,

Tom