[arch-general] Forums search interval

Pataricza Zsolt siriusb at linuxmail.org
Wed Oct 19 04:15:39 EDT 2011

*Küldés ideje:* Wed, 19 Oct 2011 09:10:27 +0800.
/Oon-Ee Ng <ngoonee.talk at gmail.com> írta:/
> On Oct 19, 2011 3:59 AM, "Heiko Baums"<lists at baums-on-web.de>  wrote:
>>
>> Am Tue, 18 Oct 2011 21:49:20 +0200
>> schrieb Pataricza Zsolt<siriusb at linuxmail.org>:
>>
>>> Try Google instead. Enter:
>>> something you want to find site:bbs.archlinux.org
>>
>> This has nothing to do with the search interval issue.
>>
>> And does Google really need to know everything? And what is the forums'
>> search function for?
>>
>> Heiko
>
> It's just a (very effective) workaround with the added benefit of utilizing
> google's servers rather than arch's.
>
> This discussion probably belongs more in the forums itself (forum and wiki
> discussion sub-forum) though, since it is about the forum. The forum admin
> is currently occupied with RL last I heard so not sure how fast a reply
> you'd get

@Heiko,
While I agree with your concern regarding google I don't think an arch
forum search reveals too much sensitive (personal) info or any at all.
And in this case there's the additional benefit as mentioned above that
google search doesn't cause additional server load.
Actually in my early days I tried to use forum search, too but then
realized the issue you faced and also found that google would give me
better hits.