[arch-general] Discussion on usage of [testing] repo - minimal requirements?

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Mon Oct 24 05:24:26 EDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 5:41 AM, Oon-Ee Ng <ngoonee.talk at gmail.com> wrote:
> A user basically is using [testing] without fulfilling the above
> requirements. Should the user be advised not to use [testing] or is
> this counter-productive to the purpose of [testing]?

It is very important that people use testing [0], so we should really
encourage _more_ rather than less of that, IMHO. Rather than advice
the user to stop using testing, I'd advice them to sign up to the
mailinglist :-)

Maybe this requirement should be communicated more clearly (e.g. a
comment in the standard pacman.conf)?

Cheers,

Tom

[0]: a lot of the non-trivial bugs against my packages are discovered
after they move to core, probably because the people with the right
hardware/use-cases are not using testing.