[arch-general] Discussion on usage of [testing] repo - minimal requirements?

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Mon Oct 24 07:53:24 EDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 1:40 PM, Martti Kühne <mysatyre at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 11:24 AM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> <snip>
>> Maybe this requirement should be communicated more clearly (e.g. a
>> comment in the standard pacman.conf)?
>
> Great idea. I mean, as a non-[testing] user I get that guinea pig
> feeling which comes naturally with linux often enough. Don't miss to
> express that [testing] here is far from what other distros label with
> "testing" and will hopefully break your system (because we want to
> know).

Depends on who you compare to, unlike certain other distro's who shall
not be named, we actually compile, install and test our packages
before pushing to testing. We really don't want any packages in
testing to break anyone's system as that will lead to fewer people
using it. However, there will obviously be problems from time to time.

Personally, I use testing on all my five machines (including for
work), and never experienced a big problem (such as loss of data or a
failed boot), but your mileage may vary ;-)

Cheers,

Tom