[arch-general] /usr is not mounted. This is not supported.

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Tue Oct 25 17:59:05 EDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 8:09 PM, clemens fischer
<ino-news at spotteswoode.dnsalias.org> wrote:
>    10  +In order for this to work, /usr needs to be in your /etc/fstab and it
>    11  +should be marked for not being fsck'ed (the last option should be 0).
>
> This is getting weird.  Who/what is going to fsck(8) /usr then?

This is work in progress. The comment is there to show that we need to
sort it out before we push this to users (I only linked to it since
you asked for the code...).

>> To make it work nicely, we should also add the dual logic to shutdown:
>> <https://github.com/teg/mkinitcpio/commit/42610beb5a317d63dc76dabb72a9061a799b280b>,
>> which will pivot back to the initramfs and unmount /usr cleanly. This
>> is where we need some busybox work, and I guess this patch should be
>> discussed a bit more, maybe it is not the best way to do it.
>
> Pardon me, but I'm not sure I want to keep all of the initramfs around
> after regular operation of the system commences.

This seems to be the simplest and most robust way of doing it, so
you'd need a better argument than "I don't want it". The only cost is
a couple of megabytes of ram, which will be swapped out soon enough
and not bother you until shutdown.

>>> Are the symlinks in "/dev/disk/by-label/" by then?  I guess not, since
>>> udevd rules are responsible for setting them up, right?
>
> I object to prohibit the use of LABEL/UUID to identify /usr

This is not happening. Udev is included in the initramfs (if you
enable the "udev" hook) and will set up all the links for you.

>> It is currently a mess. I agree with the people advocating putting
>> everything in /usr (and symlink /bin, /sbin and /lib for
>> compatibility). That obviously requires being able to mount /usr from
>> initramfs.
>
> ... which is more complicated than I thought.  We should agree on
> a clean future-proof concept.

I don't think it gets much simpler than "mount /usr from initramfs".
We would no longer have to worry about which files may be needed
during early boot or late shutdown and patch lots of packages to put
the files in the right place. Instead the fix is done in only one
package (also it is the same as done by other distros). Forget what I
said about moving everything to /usr, this is not relevant to the
current discussion.

I think we should take the rest of the discussion to the projects ML
and get back when we have something more complete to show.

Cheers,

Tom