[arch-general] coping with damaging updates

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Thu Oct 27 13:37:12 EDT 2011

On (10/27/11 19:14), Martti Kühne wrote:
-~> On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 6:24 PM, Leonid Isaev <lisaev at umail.iu.edu> wrote:
-~> >
-~> > OK, which update you are talking about?
-~> >
-~> > Shutdown problems probably come from upower. Your user would loose control of
-~> > external devices only if you were in the storage/disk groups. Adding youself to
-~> > these groups was your mistake, since unless you understand what you are doing,
-~> > you should let console-kit do the permission granting. In fact, on a modern
-~> > linux system you only have to be a member of 1 group: users.
-~> >
-~> > How do you start your desktop and do you have ck-launch-session running?
-~> >
-~>
-~>
-~> Personally I'm not using neither gui file browser nor consolekit
-~> session and make use of the group based permission because I know how
-~> to handle things, and I can look up eventual barriers in my way
-~> quickly and reliably enough. I mount usb drives manually and generally
-~> lay hands on my system to keep things running, I mean, in a sane way.
-~> This is the first time I hear that this way of treating things would
-~> be discouraged, and I'm asking myself if this is just a sysadmin's
-~> gripe and if it will be possible in the future. Let's say I'm pretty
-~> sure it will be possible, since I guess I'm not the only one who
-~> avoids these additional sources of errors aka. software layers like
-~> ck/dbus/stuff. I left $certain-other-distro for some reason, and don't
-~> want to be forced back on this layer cake again.
-~>
-~> Also reminds me of this morning's xorg-xdm bug report I wrote which
-~> made dbus on a system level necessary, all of a sudden... Things go on
-~> like this and I'll remove my Xorg and run frambuffer only from now on.
-~> :-)
-~>
-~> cheers!
-~> mar77i

And how exactly does xfce4 run for you w/o console-kit? And what's wrong with
dbus? If you want functionality beyond 1987, you'll have to have software
layers: yes or yes.

--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key ID: 164B5A6D