[arch-general] coping with damaging updates

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Fri Oct 28 02:47:54 EDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 9:49 AM, Mick <bareman at tpg.com.au> wrote:
> Following yet another update that has disabled user control of USB
> sticks, cameras, etc. and blocked user from shutting down from the
> desktop (in my case xfce4), I am at the end of my tether.
>
> Is there some way to be fore-warned of these updates coming online and
> avoid them or be ready with clear info on how to repair the damage they
> are set to create.

Regarding the device permissions, the messages you should have
received at install time can be found here:
<http://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/udev.install?h=packages/udev>.

I don't know about not being able to shut down. Can you reproduce the
problem if you start xfce via a desktop manager? If so, please file a
bug, if not then you'll need to figure out what services the DM starts
for you, and start them manually instead.

Cheers,

Tom