[arch-general] coping with damaging updates

mick bareman at tpg.com.au
Sun Oct 30 01:09:20 EDT 2011

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 17:49:13 +1000
Mick <bareman at tpg.com.au> wrote:

> Following yet another update that has disabled user control of USB
> sticks, cameras, etc. and blocked user from shutting down from the
> desktop (in my case xfce4), I am at the end of my tether.
>
> Is there some way to be fore-warned of these updates coming online and
> avoid them or be ready with clear info on how to repair the damage they
> are set to create.
>
> mick

I obviously haven't expressed myself clearly enough all I wanted was a procedure to be prepared these issues, I wasn't the developers.

My mistake in choosing Arch was that arch is much more "hands-on" than I was prepared for. My fault, not Arch's.

My system had built up a lot of crap over the years from trying packages that looked like they would do something I wanted.

Unfortunately while trying to fix the USB issue I somehow managed to delete all the hidden files in my home directory and couldn't recover them from backup. Rather than spending weeks rebuilding arch I have installed ubuntu.

mick