[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] [signoff] linux-3.1-2

Peter Lewis plewis at aur.archlinux.org
Fri Oct 28 18:36:36 EDT 2011

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> > Interesting... can someone clarify what's going on with this? I was under the
> > impression that under the new versioning scheme some versions would only have
> > two numbers now, e.g.  3.0. Is this not the case any more and we will always
> > have a third number? Is this an Arch specific thing or an upstream thing?
>
> The 3.1.0 is upstream. Our new versioning scheme is:
>  <upstream version number>-<Arch Linux pkgrel>-ARCH

Thanks.

> I am a bit confused though, as I thought it should be '3.1', then
> '3.1.1' and so on, but '3.1' is '3.1.0' instead, at least internally.

Yeah, this confused me too. I was expecting 3.1 to be 3.1, not 3.1.0. I think
that there have been some complaints about software breaking because of it
relying on three version numbers, so perhaps they're just going to add the third
.0 after all... oh well, that's probably the easiest thing anyway.

Thanks again,

Pete.