[arch-general] X fails to start after editing ~/.xinitrc

Juan R. de Silva juan.r.d.silva at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 22:16:43 EDT 2011

On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 03:37:58 +0200, Karol Blazewicz wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 3:31 AM, Juan R. de Silva
> <juan.r.d.silva at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have a new arch install with basic X environment added and
>> successfully tested.
>>
>> Following instructions here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fonts
>> I installed "terminus" fonts, created ~/.xinitrc file and added to it
>> the following lines as advised:
>>
>> xset +fp /usr/share/fonts/local
>> xset fp rehash
>>
>> After this X fails to start with error:
>>
>> "/usr/bin/startx: Line 127: hostname: command not found"
>>
>> When ~/.xinitrc file deleted, X starts as before just fine.
>>
>> Could somebody help me to figure out what am I doing wrong, please?
>>

> You don't have 'hostname' installed.
> hostname, is available in net-tools - which has been deprecated.

Sorry but this creates more questions then helps. :-( See below...

> net-tools from testing don't provide hostname anymore
> http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2011-
August/021397.html

1. My net-tools package is not from testing but from core. Could I
conclude from what you've said above that my net-tools still provides
hostname?

2. Sincerely I do not understand what hostname has to do with the
attempted procedure at all and why X without ~/.xinitrc file does not
require hostname and needs it when ~/.xinitrc file is present?

3. In case net-tools package from core does not provide hostname any more
as well, what would be a solution then for one that would like to use
"terminus" fonts which by default installed into /usr/share/fonts/local?

> Next time, install pkgtools package and run 'pkgfile foo' where 'foo' is
> the file or command you want to find.

Thank you for this I'll use it certainly.