[arch-general] X fails to start after editing ~/.xinitrc

Karol Blazewicz karol.blazewicz at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 22:45:49 EDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 4:16 AM, Juan R. de Silva
<juan.r.d.silva at gmail.com> wrote:
> 3. In case net-tools package from core does not provide hostname any more
> as well, what would be a solution then for one that would like to use
> "terminus" fonts which by default installed into /usr/share/fonts/local?

I've never had any problems with Terminus being added to fontpath in
.xinitrc but you can use xorg.conf for that too.
If you have net-tools installed, you shouldn't be getting errors about
hostname being missing.

hostname will be provided by inetutils, as was explained in the
mailing list message I linked to. I'm currently running testing and I
have no problems with X, hostname does its job (whatever that might be
;P), I'm using Terminus and have 'xset +fp /usr/share/fonts/local &;
in my .xinirtc - all seems to work.
When I downgrade to [core] (i.e. I'm not using [testing] anymore),
things still work, so the current net-tools should be all you need.