[arch-general] Konqueror aesthetic peeve

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Fri Sep 9 13:35:12 EDT 2011

I know this is a minor thing, but a) it's bugging me, and b) it's
bugging me more that I can't fix it!  :-)  I thought someone here might
be having the same problem and/or know how to help.

Although I'm an XFCE user, I still use KDE's konqueror as my file
manager.  (Old habits die hard.  Plus, I've not yet found a file manager
that's better.)  I use qtcurve as my widget style throughout my system -
i.e., both with KDE/QT apps and with GTK apps - and so am able to
achieve a uniform look to my UI, which I like very much.

A few days ago, though, a recent pacman upgrade messed up konqueror's
widget display and I can't seem to figure out how to get it back.
Normally, konqueror displays like so:

http://www.darose.net/KonquerorUnderKDE.png

(Note the ">" icons in the sidebar on the left, for expanding the tree.)

And konqueror still is displaying itself this way when I run it under
any other DE (KDE, fluxbox, etc.).  However, when I run it under XFCE
(my DE of choice), it displays like so:

http://www.darose.net/KonquerorUnderXFCE.png

(Note the use of the windows-style "+" icons in the sidebar.)

I find this situation very odd and irritating:

1) Why is this only happening under XFCE?
2) Why is this only happening in the *sidebar* portion of the window?
(If you look at the XFCE screenshot, konqueror is clearly using the
qtcurve-style arrow widgets in other portions of the GUI.)

Anyone else experience this and/or have any idea what pacman update
caused this and/or have any idea how to fix?

TIA!

DR