[arch-general] libtool(-multilib) and libltdl

Myra Nelson myra.nelson at hughes.net
Mon Sep 12 12:36:33 EDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 10:31, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Am 12.09.2011 17:05, schrieb F.Gr.:
>> [2011-09-12T17:37 CEST]
>> Ionut Biru:

>>> how did you managed to do this? if you update normally, you will
>>> have libltdl installed as a dependency of libtool
>>
>> Yes, libltdl has been installed as a dependency. Have a look at the
>> following output:
>
> Did you use the '-f' option to pacman at any time? If yes, pacman might
> have screwed up when files were moved from one package to the other. In
> that case, reinstall libltdl (as the files seem to be missing, you want
> to reinstall libltdl anyway).
>
> Please remember that the -f option to pacman -U or -S is a bad idea
> unless you know exactly what you are doing, and leads to unexpected
> behaviour. Don't use it.
>
>> At this time, libtool-multilib isn't installed. If I try to install
>> libtool-multilib, the problem is the same.
>
> This has nothing to do with multilib.

Yes I'll agree that using the -f option with pacman is a bad idea.
I've stopped using it after my discussion with Gaeton about libltdl
before. However, I do wonder if it is the only problem since the
libltdl issue has happened with two different packages. I can see the
logic of pacman -Uf as being the problem, but might it also be
something to do with having the libtool and libtdl packages being
split [great idea with excellent reasoning] and the installation. I
used the -Uf option with pacman for the original build of the split
package (when calibre failed to run) and for the rebuild (after which
calibre worked). Something I didn't do when this happened to me with
calibre was run [ldconfig -p | grep libltdl], and check the ld.so.conf
cache. I'm not an expert I'm just trying to learn and wondering about
the installation process. I also don't want to inject a problem due to
misuse of my system into the general discussion that creates more
problems. Before anyone asks about my original reasoning for using -f
with pacman please read the post referenced in the reply by Martti
Kuhne

I wasn't trying to hijack this thread or change the subject. I thought
this line of reasoning was germane to the questions being asked.
Thanks for your patience and assistance.

Myra