[arch-general] Any suggestions on frequently rebuilding a git package?

Thomas Dziedzic gostrc at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 11:50:37 EDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 12:35 AM, Philipp Überbacher
<hollunder at lavabit.com>wrote:

> Excerpts from XeCycle's message of 2011-09-18 17:33:56 +0200:
> > Hi, I build Emacs from git quite frequently, about twice a month or so.
> > However the PKGBUILD from AUR rebuilds everything each time, which takes
> > too many time I think.  Perhaps Emacs is small, but I think there should
> > be a way to prevent too many rebuilds --- is that possible?
>
> 1. Don't use -c (clean)
>
> 2. Comment line 47 and 48 (PKGBUILD-git.proto), uncomment if you want a
> clean build.
>
> Regards,
> Philipp

I used to do this with a couple of packages and it worked for me.
Keep a clone of all git repos under some folder like ~/.vcs and then I put
http://pastie.org/2558220 into ~/.vcs/update
I then ran the update script before each time I wanted to rebuild the
packages.
Finally change the _gitroot variable to /home/username/.vcs/projectname and
it will automatiically clone it from your hard drive. I usually saved this
PKGBUILD for later so that I don't have to change it each time. You could
also write a script to autodl the pkgbuild and replace the _gitroot.

Hope this helps.

Cheers