[arch-general] netcfg wlan connection renewal

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Wed Sep 28 09:02:59 EDT 2011

Excerpts from Cédric Girard's message of 2011-09-28 14:37:01 +0200:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Philipp Überbacher
> <hollunder at lavabit.com>wrote:
>
> > It's important to me that wlan is completely disabled when ethernet is
> > available.
> >

> Ethernet routes should be mounted with a lower Metric than wireless one.
> Thus, even if you have both connections active the ethernet path should be
> used (except if you have specific routes).

Thanks for this information, but using ethernet over wireless is not
enough. Wireless stuff tends to stall the whole system for a fraction of
a second at least, which is often too much already. A decision at
boot-time would be enough for me. At home, where I do audio stuff, I
need only ethernet. If the cable is plugged in at boot time -> ethernet,
no wireless. At university I don't need audio and don't have ethernet
access, no cable plugged in -> wireless. Of course I can start or stop
one or the other if need be but I'm looking for the most care-free
solution possible. Guess I'll need to script this somehow...