[arch-general] [Solved] (was: Lock at shutdown with some kernels)

XeCycle xecycle at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 09:30:55 EDT 2012

XeCycle <XeCycle at Gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I've been using Arch 64 for a year or so, and I remember several
> times (roughly 5) I have shutdown issues with the latest kernel
> (at the time).  The system is locked at shutdown, I can do
> nothing but to press the power button to force a power off.  I am
> very sure it is locked --- NumLock doesn't even respond.  And it
> doesn't return to tty as it would otherwise.  It came to me
> again.  This time I decided to have linux-lts installed.
>
> I'm curious, why is the problem always about shutdown?  Is this
> bug from upstream or Arch patches?  I don't have other distros
> installed by now though.
>
> Btw, how does linux-lts differ from linux?  I found the -lts one
> boots very slow for me, got stuck at "Waiting for UDev uevents to
> be processed" for quite some time, around 30 sec.  With linux
> it's similar, but not so long.  I have this issue when I use
> vga_switcheroo, to switch between Intel graphics and ATI card.
>
> Thank you.

A patch is needed, see https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/26847.
Comment at end by me.

Took me quite some days to figure out this is actually a bug in
IPv6.  netcfg doesn't expose this kernel bug, bug NetworkManager
does.  Hope someone can test this patch with linux-lts and
networkmanager (preferably -git one since the release has bugs
with IPv6), I'm too lazy to do that now.

--
Carl Lei (XeCycle)
Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University