[arch-general] Recent network issues on one of my computers

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Fri Apr 13 17:46:15 EDT 2012

After a bit of fiddling with systemd I now seem to have one of my
systems back in working order, but not the second.  They were of
course both fully working before the recent systemd issues.

They are fairly similar in setup (only difference, besides HW, is one
uses LVM and the other doesn't).  However, on one I have a fully
functioning network, and on the other it's only half-functioning.  The
problem is I don't really know where to start looking for solving
this.

By "half functioning" I mean:

1. I get an IP via dhcp, using wicd.  Wireless network.
2. I can make full connections (SSH) to other computers on the local
   networkd (using IP and mdns both work).
3. I can ping www.google.com and it looks like this:
    $ ping www.google.com
    PING www.l.google.com (209.85.173.104) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from lpp01m01-in-f104.1e100.net (209.85.173.104): icmp_req=1 ttl=55 time=36.4 ms
    64 bytes from lpp01m01-in-f104.1e100.net (209.85.173.104): icmp_req=2 ttl=55 time=33.6 ms

However, what I can't do is point chromium to www.google.com and get
it to download the page.  Chromium says DNS lookup fails.  Pacman
fails stating the same reason.

Point 3 above suggests resolve.conf is correct, and it is indeed
pointing to the wireless router like it's supposed to.

Any suggestions on where to start looking for solving this?

/M

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

Perl is another example of filling a tiny, short-term need, and then
being a real problem in the longer term.
     -- Alan Kay