[arch-general] Emacs is Broken!

Jeremiah Dodds jeremiah.dodds at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 11:03:10 EDT 2012

Steve Holmes <steve.holmes88 at gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 09:12:12PM +1000, Mike Sampson wrote:
>  I switched to emacs-nox from community which works fine. I may even
>> keep using it as it obviously has significantly less dependencies than
>> emacs compiled with X support.
>
> Well, it seems that it is fixed now.  I see we have emacs-23.4-2 so I wonder if our devs patched or something.  All good from my vantage point.

FWIW, I build emacs from trunk pretty regularly, and it's really
stable. I've had to look to the lists for a build faliure once over the
last two years, and it was fixed the next day anyhow.

I have a script in ~/bin with something like:

cd $HOME/workspace/emacs
bzr pull
(make || make bootstrap && make) && sudo make install

in it. I occasionally need to recompile due to system updates.

Unless you're really tied to 23.4, I recommend giving it a shot --
there's a lot of improvements, and I actually run into *fewer* problems
with things getting broken then when I run emacs from distro packages.