[arch-general] Emacs is Broken!

Stefan Husmann stefan-husmann at t-online.de
Sat Apr 14 13:41:07 EDT 2012

Am 14.04.2012 17:03, schrieb Jeremiah Dodds:
> Steve Holmes<steve.holmes88 at gmail.com>  writes:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 09:12:12PM +1000, Mike Sampson wrote:
>>   I switched to emacs-nox from community which works fine. I may even
>>> keep using it as it obviously has significantly less dependencies than
>>> emacs compiled with X support.
>>
>> Well, it seems that it is fixed now.  I see we have emacs-23.4-2 so I wonder if our devs patched or something.  All good from my vantage point.
>
> FWIW, I build emacs from trunk pretty regularly, and it's really
> stable. I've had to look to the lists for a build faliure once over the
> last two years, and it was fixed the next day anyhow.
>
> I have a script in ~/bin with something like:
>
> cd $HOME/workspace/emacs
> bzr pull
> (make || make bootstrap&&  make)&&  sudo make install
>
> in it. I occasionally need to recompile due to system updates.
>
> Unless you're really tied to 23.4, I recommend giving it a shot --
> there's a lot of improvements, and I actually run into *fewer* problems
> with things getting broken then when I run emacs from distro packages.

Why not using a PKGBUILD from AUR to do so? We have a fantastic package
manager, we should use it. How do you deinstall such a self built emacs?

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=33337 emacs-bzr, pulls from trunk
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=53902 emacs-xwidget-bzr, pulls from xwidget-branch.

Best Regards