[arch-general] EFI-Support (Arch on a MacBook Pro)

Scott Lawrence bytbox at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 14:20:30 EDT 2012

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012, Arvid Warnecke wrote:

>> My cd writer is apparently dead (gets to 60-80% and dies), so I'll
>> be contributing no useful information. Sorry
>>
> Too bad. Apple drive? Seems that the drives break really that often.

Yeah. Lasted over two years, which I understand is a good run. (And it still
/sorta/ works, but I don't want to risk having an unbootable computer as the
end of the semester nears.)

>> However, it seems that using an archboot[1] livecd[2] is the way to
>> go - a simple install should give you grub2 properly set up, and
>> from there it's just a matter of configuration.
>>
>> [1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Archboot
>> [2] http://cosmos.cites.illinois.edu/pub/archlinux/iso/archboot/2012.01/
>>
> I stumbled upon the Archboot disks, but I haven't been sure if it would
> be an option, because I read somewhere that they are not officially
> supported.

The disks themselves aren't officially supported - but once you've done the
installation, it's the same arch. As far as I can tell, they're the best thing
available for EFI computers.

--
Scott Lawrence

Linux jagadai 3.3.1-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Apr 3 06:46:17 UTC 2012 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8700 @ 2.53GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux