[arch-general] shebang for python scripts

Martti Kühne mysatyre at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 18:49:06 EDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 12:25:39AM +0200, Ralf Schmitt wrote:

> that's what I think. upstream in this case is archlinux.
no. [1] is upstream.

> distutils installs executable scripts with the full path to the python
> interpreter.
no again.

meld's source package is built with make, see [2]. not with distutils.
at least, that's how the meld devs tell you to install it in their INSTALL
file.

archlinux is indeed modifying the shebang because they/we use python3
as default python. the source package contains the line
"#! /usr/bin/env python", which arch has no further reason to modify.

so, if we now have sorted everything out correctly, you best ask the meld devs
why they do it this way. oh and here's a list of python scripts in my /usr/bin
who's devs would also have to update their shebangs. [3]

cheers!
mar77i

[1] http://meldmerge.org/
[2] https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/meld