[arch-general] shebang for python scripts

Ralf Schmitt ralf at systemexit.de
Mon Apr 16 02:41:16 EDT 2012

Martti Kühne <mysatyre at gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 12:25:39AM +0200, Ralf Schmitt wrote:
>>
>> that's what I think. upstream in this case is archlinux.
> no. [1] is upstream.

ok. I have something like 20 broken shebangs in /usr/bin. I won't
contact the authors of those packages but just fix them locally instead
if archlinux ships them this way. I still think archlinux should fix
that.

>> distutils installs executable scripts with the full path to the python
>> interpreter.
> no again.

sure it does.

> meld's source package is built with make, see [2]. not with distutils.
> at least, that's how the meld devs tell you to install it in their INSTALL
> file.
>
> archlinux is indeed modifying the shebang because they/we use python3
> as default python. the source package contains the line
> "#! /usr/bin/env python", which arch has no further reason to modify.
>
> so, if we now have sorted everything out correctly, you best ask the meld devs
> why they do it this way. oh and here's a list of python scripts in my /usr/bin
> who's devs would also have to update their shebangs. [3]

that's just ridiculous. Just because upstream ships broken packages,
archlinux doesn't have to ship them in the same broken way.

--
Cheers
Ralf