[arch-general] ASLR and PIE wider adoption.

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 16 10:37:13 EDT 2012

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 11:58:36 +0200
Lukáš Jirkovský wrote:

> (especially on 32bit).

Slightly on 32bit and almost no difference on 64bit. OpenBSD uses PIEs
everywhere and my x86 users say everythings much quicker than Windows.

Fair enough though as long as you do have a good understanding of the
real difference to users. I'm quite happy, it would just be better all
round.

Phones have very litle resources and despite the bull that many believe,
an x86 cycle is not even close to an arm cycle and yet Android now
uses PIE for better ASLR. Please don't bring up geekbench or coremark
as that's a crock for cross architecture if you look at the stated
caveats by coremark or details and results by geekbench. Your better of
measuring in time to accomplish something.

I read in a forum which was completely unsubstantiated that Google
avoided PIE for chrome due to javascript speed. Chromium runs just fine
on OpenBSD also.

Alpine uses ulibc for size and speed and still PIE.