[arch-general] Why chsh behaviour differs from specified in manpage?

Dmitry S. Kravtsov idkravitz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 10:20:05 EDT 2012

Hi,

Today I messed around with zsh and login shells and found a strange thing -
when I try to change my own login shell - chsh forbids me to do this:

$ chsh -s /bin/bash
You may not change the shell for 'kravitz'.
$ whoami
kravitz

So it states, that I can't change login shell for current user, but lets
look at manpage:

DESCRIPTION
       The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the
name of the users initial login command. A normal
       user may only change the login shell for her own account; the
superuser may change the login shell for any account.

So this it's either a bug in chsh or in its documentation. Does anyone has
the same problem?

By the way, is it a typo in manpage: "for her own account"? Who is "her"?
if we talk about user, there should be "his". But maybe I'm wrong, since
english is definitely not my native language.

--
Dmitry S. Kravtsov