[arch-general] RFC: OpenRC as init system for Arch

Leon Feng rainofchaos at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 22:43:57 EDT 2012

在 2012年4月25日 下午10:03,Patrick Lauer <patrick at gentoo.org> 写道:
> Greetings,

> Should you decide to switch (or just evaluate if switching is possible /
> makes sense) you'll get full support from us in migrating init scripts
> and figuring out all the nontrivial changes. Just visit us on IRC (
> #openrc on irc.freenode.net), send us a mail ( openrc at gentoo.org ) or
> meet us for a beer or two.
>
> Thanks for your consideration,
>
> Patrick Lauer
>
> Gentoo Developer, OpenRC co-maintainer

I am a 2 years Gentoo user and than switch to Arch for about 3 years.
I just think OpenRC does not have too much difference with Arch's
current init system.

Any way, Arch is open to any change. But if you want to propose the
switch, the best way is to make it happen by effort of yourself.

Here is the action taken by people who propose systemd:
1. Make systemd package easily available. First as AUR package, then
official package in the repo.
2. Have a quit good bbs thread and answer every users question quickly.
3. Create a good Wiki page https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd.
And now more and more users are switching to systemd, including me.

People who propose OpenRC should do the same or even better then
systemd and win more users. Recently systemd is gradually  getting
momentum. So hurry up. Competition is always a good thing.

Leon Feng