[arch-general] RFC: OpenRC as init system for Arch

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Thu Apr 26 05:08:21 EDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 1:27 AM, Patrick Lauer <patrick at gentoo.org> wrote:
> About modules and bloat - for systemd you're going from a few hundred
> lines of shell to a few hundred thousand lines of mandatory
> dependencies.

I have no idea where you get these numbers from, or why they should matter.

> but at the cost of a rather hostile
> upstream

I do not have this impression at all. systemd devs certainly have been
very open to all the suggestions I have made to make it work better on
Arch.

> that likes writing code more than anything and goes in a
> direction that makes some of us very much not happy, especially as it
> now corrupts other unrelated projects like udev (oh, systemd-udevd) and
> syslog-ng (haha, you get journald now!) and so on

This does not make sense. udev still works the same on systemd-less
systems and syslog-ng works just fine with (or without) systemd.

I am very happy that you are trying to educate us about OpenRC, but if
you are going to attack systemd please get your facts straight and
refrain from spreading unsubstantiated FUD.

-t