[arch-general] [Bulk] Re: RFC: OpenRC as init system for Arch

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 30 04:51:42 EDT 2012

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 01:12:15 -0500
C Anthony Risinger wrote:

> yeah ... i'm a C novice, and i'm pretty sure i can write a stable init
> ... that's kinda the point.  init is so incredibly dumb that it
> requires no code.  is that really what "unix philosophy" is meant to
> convey?  so little code and functionality?

Unix philosophy is many small tools that do a single job well. These
tools can do MORE than they're constituent parts when used with other
tools. Init does have spawn abilities too. There's also supervise,
monit.

Binary files have nothing to do with systemd sorry, just one of my
bones of contention from various recent conf tools. I love text in .
files, they're easy to find and can even be recovered from disk by
grepping sectors, almost no matter what and with ease. Heck, I save my
documents as .txt for secondary backup purposes. I wish I knew that
when I was a teenager doing work for school at 3AM and Word lost
everything spectacularly well.