[arch-general] pacman's default download manager?

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Thu Aug 2 05:42:21 EDT 2012

Am 02.08.2012 11:20, schrieb Oon-Ee Ng:
> On my personal machine I've long-since changed XferCommand, but on
> doing a new install on another machine with the latest iso (behind a
> proxy, which is a first for me), I figured out that a problem I was
> having was linked to pacman NOT using wget by default. Is it just me,
> or wasn't wget the default before?

As Mantas correctly indicated, pacman does not use an external download
manager by default, but it downloads files internally using curl.

Why would you even change that behaviour? Using an external download
manager only slows pacman down.

> Just to be clear, I was getting proxy related errors even after
> changing /etc/wgetrc (as instructed in the beginner's guide).

It's a wiki. Everyone can edit it, so everyone's misconceptions are in
there.