[arch-general] New dual install iso -- Where the heck is arch-setup??

Jelle van der Waa jelle at vdwaa.nl
Sun Aug 5 06:03:07 EDT 2012

On 05/08/12 03:43, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 08/04/2012 10:49 AM, Oon-Ee Ng wrote:
>>> David, you are fairly active on the mailing lists, and it's amusing that
>> More to the point, as a maintainer of a fairly complicated set of packages,
>> he should be following important announcements rather than shooting of
>> emails when he personally encounters the changes. Or at least looking at
>> the front pages
>>

> Both points well taken. I do follow - to the greatest extent possible - the
> changes with arch. Even scanning the dev list, I completely glossed over the AIF
> removal, thus the email. After having completed the install without it, I can
> say, AIF is sorely missed.
>
> The install guide that is currently in the wiki, does a good job, but it is
> extremely terse. The install can be done with the install wiki, but it takes an
> additional level of effort and Linux understanding than with AIF (and that had
> no training wheels). The current install is silent on 'swap'. I wanted a 500M
> swap, so I created on with cfdisk during install and added it to fstab. Simple
> issue, but it was things like that that AIF did that really helped cut down on
> the time/thought required for install.
>
> What is the current Arch policy for swap creation? Is it still recommended? If
> so, for what systems? (RAM <X, other criteria?) Let me know and I'll add it to
> the install wiki. Even if it is "Arch doesn't recommend swap creation", that
> should still be there for all users that historically have come to expect a swap.

You're welcome to create an improved guide for installing.

And as taken from the Archwiki "To summarize: Arch Linux is a versatile
and simple distribution designed to fit the needs of the competent
Linux® user."
So anyone who wants to install Archlinux should be able to set up a
partition and know how to set up a swap partition.

--
Jelle van der Waa