[arch-general] New dual install iso -- Where the heck is arch-setup??

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Sun Aug 5 10:50:55 EDT 2012

On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 20:43:13 -0500
"David C. Rankin" <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:

> On 08/04/2012 10:49 AM, Oon-Ee Ng wrote:
> >> David, you are fairly active on the mailing lists, and it's amusing that
> > More to the point, as a maintainer of a fairly complicated set of packages,
> > he should be following important announcements rather than shooting of
> > emails when he personally encounters the changes. Or at least looking at
> > the front pages
> >

> Both points well taken. I do follow - to the greatest extent possible - the
> changes with arch. Even scanning the dev list, I completely glossed over the
> AIF removal, thus the email. After having completed the install without it,
> I can say, AIF is sorely missed.
>
> The install guide that is currently in the wiki, does a good job, but it is
> extremely terse. The install can be done with the install wiki, but it takes
> an additional level of effort and Linux understanding than with AIF (and
> that had no training wheels). The current install is silent on 'swap'. I
> wanted a 500M swap, so I created on with cfdisk during install and added it
> to fstab. Simple issue, but it was things like that that AIF did that really
> helped cut down on the time/thought required for install.

It is actually a good thing that a user is given a chance to stop and think --
saves several reinstall attempts.

> What is the current Arch policy for swap creation? Is it still recommended?
> If so, for what systems? (RAM <X, other criteria?) Let me know and I'll add
> it to the install wiki. Even if it is "Arch doesn't recommend swap
> creation", that should still be there for all users that historically have
> come to expect a swap.

There can be no policy since the amount of swap space depends on the mission
the particular system is going to perform, although
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Storage_Administration_Guide/ch-swapspace.html
is still true.

If you are really unsure, create a resizeable swap on top of LVM.

--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key: 0x164B5A6D