[arch-general] Softlink /media

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Aug 5 13:51:57 EDT 2012

On Sun, 2012-08-05 at 11:12 -0500, Leonid Isaev wrote:
> Your email client is Evolution 3.4.2 which probably means you use
> gnome3

No it does mean that I used GNOME2 and I will continue sharing
Evolution's maildir with other Linux installs on my computer, while
keeping flags etc. too. I'm running Xfce4, but I start sessions using
GDM, since I'm accustomed to GDM.

> Well... First, automounting is a serious security hole.

Oops, pardon, I need to run Thunar first to mount by click.

> Second, adding softlinks is not a good idea IMHO because /media
> belongs to core/filesystem and your modifications will most likely to
> disappear on update. If you really don't like /run/media -- try
> bind-mounting it to /media in fstab.

Ok, thank you. Unfortunately it doesn't work without running
"sudo mount -a" after each reboot ...

[spinymouse at archlinux ~]$ cat /etc/fstab
#
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
tmpfs		/tmp	tmpfs	nodev,nosuid	0	0
/dev/sda10 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/sda9 / ext3 defaults 0 1
/dev/sdb7 swap swap defaults 0 0
/run/media /media none bind 0 0

... more precise ...

[spinymouse at archlinux ~]$ sudo mount -a
mount: special device /run/media does not exist

I first need to mount something by Thunar and then "sudo mount -a", then
everything is ok.

Can I mkdir /run/media or will this cause a conflict or will it be
removed at shutdown or when unmounting.

On Sun, 2012-08-05 at 19:13 +0300, Mantas Mikulėnas wrote:
> I wonder if it's possible to use $HOME for the softlink?
>
> Not directly, but you can have ~/media → /run/media/spinymouse.

Yes, but it would be nice if it would work for all potential users too.

> > IMO an USB stick etc. should be auto-mounted at /media, I prefer to
> > type /media/INTENSO only.
>
> It's certainly more convenient – but there's still tab-completion, so
> it's not too bad now.

Good point, I'm not accustomed to use tab-complete for paths.

> they don't want user A to see user B's mounted disks.

That's reasonable, but a disadvantage on my machine. Even if someday
there should be several users, it would be one user after the other, not
several users at the same time, since my machine is for making arts,
especially for making audio productions.

Regards,
Ralf