[arch-general] New dual install iso -- Where the heck is arch-setup??

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 05:10:12 EDT 2012

On Sunday 05 Aug 2012 09:50:55 Leonid Isaev wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 20:43:13 -0500
> > The install guide that is currently in the wiki, does a good job, but it
> > is
> > extremely terse. The install can be done with the install wiki, but it
> > takes an additional level of effort and Linux understanding than with AIF
> > (and that had no training wheels).

I agree with this: I'd be perfectly comfortable installing manually, although
I haven't tried it yet.  However, installing manually is simply less time-
efficient, and is more frustrating.

I didn't really think of AIF as an installer, more of a menu-based useful
tool.  It's not about hand-holding; it's about getting what needs to be done
quickly and efficiently without needing to read through copious notes and type
commands by hand.  Sometimes the time it takes to do that is frustrating,
especially in a work environment.

> It is actually a good thing that a user is given a chance to stop and think
> -- saves several reinstall attempts.

Will they stop and think, or will they get frustrated by the notes and start
copying commands verbatim and bork the whole thing?  It really depends on
whether the user is the kind of person who is already careful or not.

As I recall, one of the main issues was that the AIF maintainer has stepped
down.  I don't think the devs actively chose to ditch AIF, it just kind of
happened, and they've done the best they can in the situation.  I'm trusting
it'll be fixed or replaced with some other kind of menu-based tool to help with
the procedure in due course.  It seems like it's just a matter of time.

Paul