[arch-general] Mime backup program

Squall Lionheart headmastersquall at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 10:59:33 EDT 2012

Arno and Ashkan,

> Is there any issue if I install it from your tarball, or shall I create
> first a PKGBUILD. which is normally the safest way.

Their is no issue with just following the instructions and using the Python
installer, except that if you want to remove the package you have to do it
manually.  That being said, you should always create a native package for
your distro of choice, simply to have better package organization and house
keeping.  If you create a PKGBUILD, would you share it with me, I have not
had the time to research writing one?

> i'm very interesting to use this app. but i usually use svn to backup /etc
> on my linux boxes.

SVN is a great tool and I use it as well for backing up certain items, such
as our DNS zone files (which is also backed using mime).  After you start
using mime to backup your system, it give the feel of having your entire
file system under source control.  This is because each backup that is made
creates a new copy of your file system which builds a history of your
files.  The lsmime tool that installs with it also provides the ability to
do a diff on a file and compare it to a version from your backups, and
their is a "lsmime changes" command that works similarly to "svn status".

Thank you
Squall

--
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.

Headmaster Squall :: The Wired/Section-9
Close the world  txen eht nepo
$3R14L 3XP3R1M3NT$ #L41N
http://twitter.com/headmastersqual