[arch-general] Mime backup program

Arno Gaboury arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 03:14:22 EDT 2012

On 07/08/12||08:59, Squall Lionheart wrote:
> Arno and Ashkan,
>
> > Is there any issue if I install it from your tarball, or shall I create
> > first a PKGBUILD. which is normally the safest way.
>
> Their is no issue with just following the instructions and using the Python
> installer, except that if you want to remove the package you have to do it
> manually.  That being said, you should always create a native package for
> your distro of choice, simply to have better package organization and house
> keeping.  If you create a PKGBUILD, would you share it with me, I have not
> had the time to research writing one?
>
> > i'm very interesting to use this app. but i usually use svn to backup /etc
> > on my linux boxes.
>
> SVN is a great tool and I use it as well for backing up certain items, such
> as our DNS zone files (which is also backed using mime).  After you start
> using mime to backup your system, it give the feel of having your entire
> file system under source control.  This is because each backup that is made
> creates a new copy of your file system which builds a history of your
> files.  The lsmime tool that installs with it also provides the ability to
> do a diff on a file and compare it to a version from your backups, and
> their is a "lsmime changes" command that works similarly to "svn status".
>
> Thank you
> Squall

I will have a look and write PKGBUILD for you after being tested on my
box.
As already stated, the name is very confusing. Once you will post it in
AUR, changing its name will become difficult. Would it be possible for
you to quickly change the name before writing PKGBUILD? It should'nt be
so difficult to find something more related to back-up.

Regards.