[arch-general] Mime backup program

Kwpolska kwpolska at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 10:20:39 EDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 11:35 PM, Squall Lionheart
<headmastersquall at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A few weeks ago there was a thread regarding the best "Arch" way of backing
> up /etc and I mentioned that I wrote a backup program that works very well
> for that.  I promised I would let everyone know when my new version became
> available, and today is that day.  I don't have an AUR package yet, however
> an installer is provided and a "Quick Setup" can be found in the README.
> The package contains full documentation and I am willing to answer
> questions via email.  This is a very powerful and fully featured program
> and I welcome any feedback.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/mime-backup/
>
> Thank you
> Squall
>
> --
> Yesterday is history.
> Tomorrow is a mystery.
> Today is a gift.
> That's why its called the present.
>
> Headmaster Squall :: The Wired/Section-9
> Close the world  txen eht nepo
> $3R14L 3XP3R1M3NT$ #L41N
> http://twitter.com/headmastersqual

A great idea.  I have a few suggestions:

1. A better name would be a great idea.  When I saw “mime backup
program”, I immediately thought of mimetypes, when I shouldn’t.
2. lsmime doesn’t use -- in front of arguments, although mime does.  See (5).
3. Mind switching to version control systems and to GitHub?  It’s much
nicer and a billion times easier for people to contribute.
4. PyPI — http://wiki.python.org/moin/CheeseShopTutorial
5. argparse should be used instead of your methods of parsing
arguments.  It’s much cleaner and easier.
6. Use setuptools (distribute) instead of distutils.
7. Compliance with PEP 8 is a good idea.  Package “pep8” from the AUR
should help you.
8. If you want to have more users, rewrite it in python2.
9. Unit tests, http://kennethreitz.com/repository-structure-and-python.html
and other stuff would be great to see.
10. And by the way, http://i.stack.imgur.com/RdBpi.png —
python-distribute, python2-distribute, python-pip, python2-pip should
be of use.
11. PKGBUILD.
12. Perform all that after a name change, if you want one.
--
Kwpolska <http://kwpolska.tk>
stop html mail      | always bottom-post